I am a full time 9-5 Compounding Pharmacy Tehcnician (pretty much like Breaking Bad status) who works about 45 minutes away from home… So my 8-hour shift turns into about a 10 hour one with my drive every day! When I found out I was pregnant with Abigail, I always said I could not wait to be that working mom and wife who was able to take care of her family by providing financially while at work and emotionally while at home. Well, I was DEAD wrong!
I never dreamed of wanting to be that stay at home mom, but now I want nothing more! So I decided to write some confessions I may have as a working mom, not just for me but for friends and family considering some of these affect them and decisions I make!
- GUILT- Ya’ll this is something that I struggle far too much with when it comes to trying to have a social life! I am SUPER lucky enough to have some amazing friends who always incorporate Abigail into plans as much as possible! However, odds are if it is something or somewhere Abigail shouldn’t go… Momma won’t be goin! I know this sounds real bad and they say “momma needs a break” but Abigail is my break! Since I don’t get to spend very much time with her during the day, I have no intentions on handing her off as soon as I get home or not spending the entire weekend with her (sorry, not sorry!).
- I deep down want to be a stay at home Mom- Don’t get me wrong, I love my job and I love what I do but I long for the day that I get to work from home and not miss a single thing my baby girl (and future babies) is doing, learning and exploring.
- I miss those late night nursing sessions and secretly always looked forward to them- I know there is no mom who ever said they enjoyed the newborn stage of no sleep, however I do miss those late night nursing sessions. Since I decided to go back to work after only a month (NEVER again), I was no longer able to nurse her on demand and had to pump most of my milk. So waking up to nurse was our bonding time we got together.
- Weekends are for family time (We work hard so we can play harder)- Since my husband and I both work 9-5 Monday- Friday jobs; we do our best to reserve the weekends for family time to cram in every single activity we missed during the week into TWO days! That includes trips to the park, Disney, the Zoo, picnics and the beach.
- I don’t share well- When I come home from a long day of work, the LAST thing I want to do is share my Abigail hugs (don’t worry I share well with my husband) … So if you come over on a week day to visit, don’t expect much Abigail time!
- I don’t go to the gym and I don’t feel bad about it- This one goes back to my not wanting to hand her off as soon as I get home guilt. I LOVE running and being outside so I found three ways to exercise while being able to incorporate Abigail; running, bike riding and roller blading.
7. Pumping is not easy- I have been exclusively pumping for about 7 months now and it has been a journey to say the least. Being that I work in a lab (with no windows), I used to pump when I first got to work and before I left. I then realized it was probably easier to pump on my way to and from work considering I have a 45 minute drive. So if you ever see a pumping mom driving, give her a thumbs up because it take work and dedication to maintain your supply and sanity.
If there is one thing I have learned about being a Mom, it is that your child does NOT need a perfect mom, they just need a happy one! And that is exactly what we are in the Kline household, one incredibly HAPPY family, together.